Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:55:23 -0800
--- On Fri, 2/19/10, Mike S <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The red maples have been in bloom here for close to a week now.  I am located about ninety miles north of Pensacola and Mobile.   I have seen the bees coming in with pollen since the last week of December of last year.

As an addendum I should add that wild mustard and henbit has been in bloom since that last week as well.  The cold has seemingly knocked out the wild mustard.  We'll have to wait to see if the mustard reblooms this year.  The henbit was slowed down, the open blooms at the time seemingly frozen out.  But, it is blooming again at this time.  I've not been out long enough to determine if the bees are using this resource.  But, they are actively working some source, bringing in nectar and pollen (the pollen from several different sources as the pollen loads are different colors.

Mike in LA