From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:07:57 -0900
Hi,

> I thought Allen was referring to the early days of rebuilding the
> outfit going from large cell to small cell also.
> The well documented return to a large number of hives on small cell
> was certainly a long process with little monetary returns from where
> I sit.

He was, but he was referring to what Dean was referring, of which was
her most recent bounce back from her losses in the Fall of 2007 with
what might have been CCD. See how confusing this has gotten because of
someone misunderstanding a remark made, it seems very few understand
the truth. I can see now it is snow balling into miss-information.

> I do feel compelled to comment on nosema because I think maybe Dee
> might not fully understand how quickly nosema ceranae can wipe out
> an operation.

Some apparently think it takes considerable time, here is a quote from
a BEE-L member;
" one of the criteria of CCD is that bees will not thrive in the
equipment until some considerable time after the loss."

Nosema Ceranae or CCD, which ever she had or was diagnosed having, she
came back to numbers in those yards affected and made honey of a fair
amount the following season after the Fall crash. This I think
happened in close to a year period.

> I would say most likely the 1959 date was for nosema apis.

I think some are wondering if some of this was not Nosema Ceranae that
was simply miss-diagnosed or was unknown of at the time.

> I lost most of two yards this fall to nosema ceranae by reusing
> boxes not treated with acetic acid. Live and learn.

Well then, I think we may all see if Dee's methods do work if she has
no loses in her Nosema Ceranae infected yards this fall. Dee simply
reused untreated equipment in the same yards as had the losses and
split from the survivors of the infection, thus propagating the
resistant genetics left from the live and let die method Dee
subscribes. Instead of treating and replacing stock with outside
sources, she used what was left and built back up to numbers fast.

> "Live and let die" is a wonderful thought but when I am really sick
> I seek the help of a medical doctor and medicene!

This is a common mistake to anthropomorphize bees to human conditions.
This is a case of talking apples when we are speaking oranges. Dee is
proving that the "Live and let die" method does work concerning bees
and breeding bees, but that is hard for some to grasp on to.

God Bless,

Keith Malone
Chugiak, Alaska