From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 15:58:46 -0700
Allen Dick wrote:

>Well, we had a nice drive this afternoon to meet Morely at a country
>intersection about 60 miles from here to get our Australian queens.  It
>went down like a drug deal -- at the side of the road.  Had hoped for 100,
>but settled for 50.  Nice queens.
>
>Anyhow, when we got them home and were about to give them their Fumidil
>a la Roy Thurber, we noticed they were piping nicely.  So we got out the
>mic and decided to share the sound with you.  Of course they clammed up
>immediately that they saw the mic, but we did get some recordings.

   Actually, I believe I was the first ever to analyze those sounds (piping
and quacking) by means of audiospectroscopy.  After doing so, I generated
equivalent sounds with a signal generator and telegraph key and got the
queens to respond to the artificial sound --- later reporting the results
in the following paper and later in the April, 1964 issue of SCIENTIFIC
AMERICAN.

  1962  Wenner, A.M.  Communication with queen honey bees by substrate
sound.  Science.  138:446-447.

  1964  Wenner, A.M.  Sound communication in honey bees.  Sci. Amer.
210:116-124.

   I hasten to add, though (as most of you know), that I no longer
subscribe to the part in that article about the significance of waggle
dancing, the sounds of which I similarly analyzed for my doctoral
dissertation in the 1950s.

                                                        Adrian

Adrian M. Wenner                         (805) 893-2838 (UCSB office)
Ecol., Evol., & Marine Biology           (805) 893-8062  (UCSB FAX)
Univ. of Calif., Santa Barbara           (805) 963-8508 (home office & FAX)
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

*  "...scientists are paradoxically resistant to change, even when    *
*  confronted with evidence that virtually demands change of them."   *
*                                 Barber, 1960 (in Greenberg, 1983)   *