From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 07:51:52 -0500
Brian Fredericksen wrote:
> ok lets pick say orange blossom,  buckwheat,  tupelo, italian chestnut and a pure dakota sweet
> clover  ....no difference... none to the consumer or average person ? they could not tell one from
> another in a blind taste test?

We are going far afield here and it is difficult to keep on the subject
which is $40 honey.

Tell them that there are two kinds of honey and they will group them in
two groups. Tell them three and there will be three. Add two of each and
they will be hard pressed to identify two of the same, except for
buckwheat which is a member of the tar group and used in upper NY to
pave roads.

Your main point was your local honey. But you bring up honey, some of
which does demand high price since it is "rare" but certainly is not
collected by bees in Minnesota.. We in Maine ask for higher prices on
blueberry and raspberry honey, but not $40/oz..
> also how then do you explain the time and money packers spend to blend their honey if it all
> tastes the same?

Again, we are talking about selling it for $40. There is more than taste
to honey. There is also color and viscosity. Commercial sellers want
uniformity. Put two bottles of the same label with different colors on a
shelf and the buyer will think it one is "off" and will not buy either.
Which is just what happened to a jar of my honey I sent to a friend.. It
was fresh from the comb and had a little trace of wax on the top. They
thought it was mold and had gone bad and threw it out. Cost $10 just to
ship it to California.

Bill Truesdell (die horse, die! But we do get exercise kicking it.)
Bath, Maine