Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2011 20:37:33 -0400
What is everyone's thoughts on this?  For a hobbyist or side  liner
classification in the US, I believe it may make sense but you would have  to be
ready to lose 90-95% of your hives initially.  For a commercial  operation this
would be devastating.  In the long run even with treatments  I believe this
is true.  Without treatments the bees would get to a  survival state
quicker but at a large cost initially.  With treatments the  bees would get to the
survival state but it would take longer w.r.t  mites  for example becoming
resistant to treatments.  I wonder if this isn't what  some of CCD is all
about.  I agree that controlling Varroa is a key to  sustaining current
domestic colonies.  I suspect this is partly why we have  had 30% or so losses in
the US over the past years.

Dave M.