From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:23:53 -0400
Depends on how much time you have. A lot of beekeepers super up all the hives with 5 or 6
supers at once and come back in a month or two. Others check weekly and super as
needed.

On good hives, I would always try to be at least one super ahead of them, in case you get a
sudden flow or can't get back in time. That means one deep or two mediums.

If it looks like it's really about to hit, put on more. You don't want to miss it, and you don't
want the honey to all go into the brood nest.

Late in the season, I would crowd them to get them to finish what they have started and put
more honey into the brood nest.

Personally, I don't think the extra room hurts anything, and other people will have other
opinions. The characteristics of each honey flow is different, too -- so a lot of things don't
translate from location to location or year to year.

pb