From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:33:45 -0500
On 24 Mar 97 at 10:58, Angus Stokes wrote: Aggressive bees and Buckfast

> Has anyone else noticed that bees aggressive towards humans  are
> often aggressive ROBBERS of other hives?  They then get the
> reputation for being good collectors of honey.
>
> What is good for an Italian climate is unlikely to be success in
> Canada.  Surely what we are all seeking to develop and maintain, is
> a bee that is best for our individual purposes, in our LOCAL
> environment. The bees' given name is then irrelevant.

Many good points taken from this post.
I for one have noticed that aggression does not necessarily produce more
honey, possibly only more opportunity, by robbing. If there is no
opportunity because there are no weak hives around, then the aggressive
hive fares no better than non-agressive. Why allow angry hives to pollute
the gene pool, is my question?
        I often question the adding of names to bees ie Italian, for a pale
golden striped bee, but then how else could we describe the bees we breed?

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Dealers for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks