Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2014 09:18:11 -0400
> I might add research out of the U.K. (Dr. Carrick) suggests a hive can do
> quit well
> with varroa *if* virus and problems the
> Mite vectors are not an issue.

Bob hit the nail on the head. It is not the mite, it is what the mite
transmits. What is being seen now is that lower mite loads do not mean
greater survival, since it is the virus that needs to be controlled. That
was seen in Canada in the early years of Varroa when some wondered what was
the fuss. It was because there were no virus then.

As far as ticks and fleas, it is not the bug but what the bug carries.Just
look at what they can transmit just to humans, much less dogs and cats.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine