From:
Dave Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 10:07:34 -0500
Yesterday, when requeening a colony, I prepared to dispatch the old
queen in the traditional manner (squash).  Unfortunately, as I turned
away from the hive, the queen escaped my gloved hand.  I think it may
have been injured at least, but I could not find it on the ground or
in the immediate vicinity of the open hive.  I went ahead anyway and
introduced a new queen in its Benton mailing cage without attendants.

If the old queen reenters the hive, I understand she will rightfully
re-ascend her accustomed throne and the new queen will be dispatched
by the colony as an intruder.

My question:

What are the chances the old queen found the colony and entered?  For
about one hour afterward the bees all hung around the entrance, but
then appeared content and undisturbed.  It is a big colony and
active today.  Of course, I'll check in several days to see what
happened, but I am curious about other's experiences with similiar
situations.

Thanks.