Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:34:34 EDT
Roy Nettlebeck,
I want to THANK YOU for your comments about research!  I have always failed
to understand why the average beekeeper will heed the advice of some local
farmer, mechanic, plumber, carpenter (ALL HONORABLE VOCATIONS) about
beekeeping rather than listen to the advice of some dedicated researcher, who
has perhaps studied
hard in college for 7-8 years to gain a degree in Entomology and then be
hired by
a university or government BEE LABORATORY to full-time try to find the
solutions
to our beekeeping problems.

Many beekeepers have said, "The bee scientists and bee researchers have NOT
found the solution for XYZ..... or the control of varroa jacobsoni, so we
have HAD to listen to our experienced fellow beekeepers."  The scientists are
so limited by "arms" of the government in that whatever solution they find
must meet several widely divergent criteria, such as: 1) must kill the mite,
2) must NOT kill the bee or its brood, 3) must NOT be dangerous to humans, 4)
must not be collective in the wax.
Further, beekeepers DEMAND that this product be CHEAP in price.

Since this year is my 70th consecutive year of beekeeping, I have seen many
problems that are not even imagined today by new beekeepers. Where would we be
today without the findings of Terramycin, Fumidil-B, para dichlorobenzene,
Gard Star, CheckMite, Apistan, Bee-Go, Artificial swarm pheromones, plastic
foundation,
and many other findings, all found by scientists and researchers, but none
found by
those myriad number of local beekeepers who were not trained scientists.

Scientists don't always HAVE to use chemicals.  Dr. Diana Sammataro
"discovered"
the effective control of tracheal mites by plain grease patties, just plain
sugar and Crisco.  Our dedicated scientists and researchers are trying to
find those things that positively WORK, regardless of whether the active
material is a dangerous
chemical like the organophosphate coumophos (CheckMite) or something simple
like
a vegetable oil (Crisco).

Normally I keep silent regarding these difficult subjects which are not
unlike discussing religion or taxes where one never finds a winner, but you
said "so much"
so well, I just had to reply.

Again, THANK YOU!

George Imirie
Certified EAS Master Beekeeper
Past President of Maryland State Beekeepers
Author of George's Pink Pages @ www.beekeeper.org/george_imirie/index.html