From:
Blair Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2014 08:28:20 -0400
I haven't seen this before - it's an article showing human allergies
(anaphalaxis)  to plant/animal treatments.  As beekeepers, we're kind
of at the top of the nectar/pollen food web.  (sadly I don't have any
papers showing if bloom pesticides/treatments accumulate in pollen,
honey or wax; I heard amitraz and coumaphos accumulate in wax over
time but don't know about human treatments to plants being
concentrated in wax/honey/pollen).  It's not a slam dunk paper, but
it's pretty good forensic science from what I can tell.

Interesting quote 1 from news source:
"The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology cites Des
Roches’ conclusion that “[a]s far as we know, this is the first report
that links an allergic reaction to fruits treated with antibiotic
pesticides.”

Interesting tidbit in 2nd paragraph of this snippet of news summary
(hypothesized streptomycin residue on blueberries put this girl into
anaphylaxis):

"Des Roches and her team investigated anaphylaxis in a 10-year-old
girl experiencing the condition after consuming a blueberry pie.
Although she had a history of anaphylaxis to penicillin and milk, she
had not had any milk intake in the time leading up to the reaction.
The patient was stabilized and laboratory tests were performed on a
sample of the pie. While negligible amounts of milk were found, the
team noted the presence of a non-beta-lactam antibiotic, which could
not be confirmed due to limited sample size."

"The team theorized that the identity could be streptomycin. Skin
tests with the patient to streptomycin resulted in allergic responses.
According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology,
“Streptomycin, in addition to being a drug used to fight disease, is
also used as a pesticide in fruit, to combat the growth of bacteria,
fungi, and algae."

It's my impression that the paper has several of these accounts of
"forensic medicine" pointing to residues.

It raises the questions: Are pesticide treatments/practices/doses
changing?  Are human immune responses changing?

News summary quote came from:
http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/antibiotic-pesticides-linked-to-allergic-reaction-researchers-say/

Actual paper:
Title "Risk of allergic reaction and sensitization to antibiotics in foods"
I couldn't find an abstract.  It's a pay to play journal sadly.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S108112061400458X