From:
Dennis Murrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:45:14 -0700
Hello Allen and Everyone,

Until this year, my hives were plagued by the T mites. With the Russian
bees T mite resistance has been very much publicized on Bee-L as well as
in the general beekeeping press, my experience has been just the
opposite. My Russian bees could carry lots of mites without the massive
symtoms shown by other lines. Yet they  collapsed just as fast as the
others. That included all of my Russian stock including one very
expensive breeder and several just plain expensive breeders.

It should be noted that I don't treat for mites at all, no patties, no
menthol, no oil, nothing. Maybe some of the favorable reports noted are
from those that routinely treat for mites.

Of course my local conditions might not be too favorable :>). But before
switching over to a new line give them at least 2 years and watch what
happens in your location with your type of management.

Best Wishes
Dennis