From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:19:27 -0500
Hello Inger and All,
  Can anyone fill me in?  Any recent research?

I can't recall any recent research. Dr. Erickson did a article in ABJ years
ago. I am not a fan of Dr. Erickson and and had problems with both Dr.
Ericksons ABJ papers on soybeans and on wintering.

Regardless what many on the list might say bees in Missouri , Iowa and
Nebraska work Soybeans and put up a surplus in many years (in my opinion) .
The bees enter the beans from the sides of the fields about ten am in the
morning in my area.

Although climate plays a part there are two varieties which the bees seem to
always work. Most farmers in my area plant four varieties to get
pollination. Farmers on which I have placed bees with fields of soybean
report about a ten Bu. per acre increase which proves the bees are working
the blossoms to me besides seeing the bees work the blossoms with my own
eyes. I took a whole day and drove to the soybean field every hour for the
whole day.

I must caution Inger that there are beekeepers at each bee meeting which
will say bees to not work soybeans and do not make a surplus from soybeans.

I will caution the list that I have had two reports from commercial
beekeepers of bee kills from hives sitting on fields on Roundup ready
soybeans. I have had no problems (yet) and the local MFA says there is no
possible way  the soybean fields could be causing the bee loss. Any problems
from beekeepers on BEE-L with bee hives on fields of roundup ready soybeans?

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison