From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:05:35 +0100
Hi All

I have been interested and confused by some of the cellsize debate,  much
has already been said that can be accessed in archives and websites.

It took me a few mental "gymnastics" to reach my current understanding. I do
not want others to take what I say for granted, nor do I want my opinions
dismissed "out of hand".

I consider that the effort that I put in to reach that understanding was
worth it and I urge others to apply the effort required.

The stumbling block that most seem to falter on is the need for regression
(retrogression UK/USA english). I give you an analogy based on human body
size and shirtsize.

When I was 20 years old I was a "normal" sized adult wearing a size 16"
shirt.
As time went by I became larger and required a 16 1/2", I became larger
still and required a 17" and then a 17 1/2".

It is now "normal" for me to require the 17 1/2" collar size and I just do
not fit into anything smaller.

To get back to any of the smaller sizes I would need to deliberately reduce
my bodysize and as I did so there would come a time when I could just
squeeze into the next lower size. I say just "squeeze into" as the shirt
would bulge and be uncomfortable and would look awful.

As I progressed in weight/bodysize reduction I would fit the new size
"perfectly" and the shirt would look good. If I were to continue reduction
until I could attempt the next size down the same process of bad fit
followed by improving fit and then good fit would occur again.

I did not reach my conclusions by this method, but I think it has parallels
with regression.

Everyone seems to start with the premise that "todays" bees are "natural"
sized.

If you start from the notion that 4.9 mm was the norm before the larger
cells became available, then todays bees are decidedly bloated.

I may desire a 16" collar size, but sure as hell I have to have a 17 1/2"
unless I do something drastic.

This analagy may seem lighthearted, I hope it is amusing, but I think it may
help.

As to what happens in bees on a 4.9 mm cellsize, we will find that out when
a few more of us take the plunge and regress some bees on to it.

Regards From:- Dave Cushman, G8MZY
Beekeeping and Bee Breeding, http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman