From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:55:44 -0700
>At least you got a meal for your efforts. What else was accomplished
besides Bayer dancing around the issues?

It wasn't my impression that Bayer danced around the issues.  Bob, I am not
in a position to report candidly what happened, as some of the members are
leaders of our national organizations.

> >The neonicotinoids are a serious issue for me. I see no humor when
> discussing the subject.

That's too bad, Bob.  A sense of humor often helps to open meaningful
dialog.

> >What went on at the meeting?  What issues were resolved?

You're asking the wrong guy.  The HBAB members can speak for themselves.

Bob, I'm frankly quite disturbed by your blowing off Hackenberg and Mendez'
contributions to the Bayer dialog.

IMHO, the beekeeping community was offered a golden opportunity to have a
transparent and open dialog with a major pesticide manufacturer, who
happened to be clearly motivated to improve their image to the public.
Other pesticide manufacturers are watching closely, and are eager to jump on
board should the beekeepers hold up their end of the bargain.

In the meetings that I've been to, the Bayer reps were open, apparently
transparent, and very free with any information that I requested.  They
seemed genuinely eager to work with the beekeeping community to address
problems, and to pursue relabeling of products if there were bee problems.

I feel very strongly that the beekeeping community should be keeping the
ball rolling.  By this time we could have had field trials designed and
running.  *At Bayer's initiative*, one trial was started on short notice,
with Hackenberg's assistance, to test Movento in citrus.  The progress of
the trial, by an independent researcher, has been sent to the members as the
data comes in.

Beekeepers are free to hire their own independent scientists to test any
product, and I can assure you that Bayer will cooperate fully.

I am not sitting with the HBAB, and missed the last meeting, but I have
heard of little progress.  I have requested information from the HBAB
secretary.

Frankly, I think that we as beekeepers are blowing a golden opportunity, and
have pissed away a year toward resolving the neonicotinoid issues.

Randy Oliver