From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 11:25:02 -0600
I was reading the article in ABJ (no I won't precis it) and noticed
that the author purportedly shows the difference in comb building
behavior between sections divided by clear plastic and those where
there is an opaque divider.

The first conclusion would be that bees can somehow 'see' there is
more room on the other side.

Can bees see in the 'dark'?  Infrared from body heat????

Hmmmm.

Although I may seem to be making light of this, if someone can
replicate this, we may have something to rival or surpass cold fusion
for popular appeal.

It could replace the bee dance as a topic of discussion at cocktail
parties..

We learn from strange observations like this and I'll add my own...

My people *insist* that the bees do more and better work in the Ross
Rounds frames that have the darkest colour.  (We have them ranging
from white to chocolate in colour).