From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 22:01:25 -0500
>Have I got the characteristics correct? Have I missed any?

You have the basics. I have looked at many "claimed" CCD hives ( claimed on
the CCD survey) and see many hives which do not fit the described symptoms
in every hive. The number of dead hives is always very high.

I saw many completely empty hives which looked like maybe the bees simply
left. CCD actually looked like a case I saw in Texas where another beekeeper
had put out poison honey to kill the other beekeepers bees. In many cases it
looked like somebody had taken a bee blower and removed most of the bees but
left the queen and a few bees. Uniformity was not seen.

I actually first observed the above in 2004 in the south.

conclusion:
Each hive on its own might have been explained by known bee issues but the
number of dead hives and going from strong to weak or dead in a short time
did not make sense to me. Still doesn't.

The list knows my position on the systemics and I am trying to give a simple
opinion on what I observed not prove my position.

From the start the die off looked like a pesticide kill in which the field
force is lost and the hive keeps sending younger and younger bees to do the
daily tasks. Similar to kills I have seen from coop and crop dusters.

Nosema in the last stages produces a hive that dwindles but the process is
slow not fast as in the case of Hacks bees.

beekeeping for those beekeepers improved by better mite control, nosema
control , replacing comb & placing hives in sun instead of shade.

Still losses over winter remain high (U.S.D.A. stats). 30% range . The
problem (according to the USDA) has not disappeared ( as in disappearing
disease) and if related to various die offs in beekeeping history.

researchers I have talked to are unable to explain the high winter losses
still. They do say CCd was a wake up call for beekeepers and losses would be
still similar to 2007 if beekeepers had not started to take better care of
their hives.

There are still beekeepers which are not seeing losses and others like in
the northeast which are stilling big losses.

*in my opinion* losses I hear about today can mostly be explained but some I
can not explain.

Jerry named CCD so maybe he will give his take.

 I will bet  I have seen as many claimed CCD as many  CCD researchers since
2004. Talked
personally with Lance & Dave ( which lost semi loads said to be from CCD)

I have never saw all the five symptoms in my hives deadouts. Reason I never
claimed CCD losses on the CCD survey ( which Jerry will verify).

I have many friends which did claim CCD losses on the survey and I
personally looked at I would guess over a thousand deadouts since 2004.

Jerry might say those claimed on the CCd survey were not CCD as not examined
by the CCD team.

I would
reply then:
exactly what number of the hives on the survey could really be
counted? What percent? Can we really say the survey was an accurate count of
U.S. CCD hives?

I think Canada claims to have never had a CCD case? Hmmm.

My two cents worth. Taken out of context parts can be picked apart but as a
whole my observations.

bob