Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 17:37:00 -0400
We tend to have short attention spans so "normal" for us is usually a
comparison of the past several years.

There is no such thing as "normal" weather. It is only the average of what
has happened over a specific time span. Even there you have problems since
we have only had the kind of measuring capabilities with satellites for
about 30+ years and even there we are refining the measurements. If you go
back 100 thousand years, normal for Maine was under a kilometer of ice.

We are finally getting a small grip on ocean temperature oscillations along
with ocean currents, clouds, and sun harmonics so we can make more informed
guesses as to what is going to happen. But the best guesses still come from
those who look back at prior years and compare them with the el ninos,
Atlantic oscillations, sun activity, volcano activity, and anything else
they can add to match and, like the Dr. who asks if you have had this
before, let you know you have it again.

The most visited website about long term weather which has posters from
every camp is wattsupwiththat. Very good science.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/

The next twenty to thirty years will be interesting as there are two very
opposite camps, one predicting cooling and the other warming. Right now, the
earth is cooling and has been over the past several years. I hope the
coolers are wrong because cooling is much worse than warming. Just check
history.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine