Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 09:37:41 -0800
practical applications of interest to beekeepers would be the feeding of
double-stranded RNA sequences (dsRNA) to bees (to suppress viruses, nosema,
or varroa)
>>>  gene insertion (or permanent gene knockout)

I think that to those of us less knowledgeable about the two it is very confusing.  We seem to be getting the two mixed up and convoluted.

In maybe third grade terms, are you saying that RNAi would be rather like getting a shot that would attack and kill a certain organism that is making us ill and would operate on a one time basis and not be a continuing operation within the recipient organism?

That gene insertion would be something that would permanently and continuously block certain functions within the body of the recipient organism, rather like something that would knock out cancer cells and prevent further reproduction of cancer cells (putting it simplistically)?

Mike in LA