> comb. They were either on the run or in 
> the air. All beekeeping is local but up here my bees stay
> on the comb in gobs sometimes hanging off 
> the edge as frames are removed from the brood nest and a
> layer of bees stay on the top bars in a 
> large colony.....like I have to shake bees off to see any
> larva or eggs.

Reply:
In the hives ripped apart and boxes carried several yards to new location they were full of bees and simply set down in new location. That way field force quickly goes home and nurse bees start sorting out new location. For what was in air, actually many times that was still in hives (nurse bees) with field bees then leaving to get home and or see what was happening. For the most part I am not trying to remove frames from hives, with bees hanging. I am simply taking whole super and any bees falling while walking out bottom, simply have to find own way home, or to new home of which most all do. Also boxes of bees/brood/stores carried to new home are set on one deep box comb, then new box bees, brood, stores, then another deep box comb, and then one more box, with new foundation and some drawn combs in center, to start pyrimading up for usage later on. 

This is old way of splitting I was taught back in 50s/60s in New York state by the way for unlimited broodnest setups for production colonies.

You want to see how strong they are, come on out and see, as this is first spring workup run, that is also using upper best of upper 1/3 for new hive making. Then second pass thru starting in 21 days for equilization run for final  workup going into flow just prior to main flow. got until end of May to be completely ready.

Dee

____________________________________________________________________________________
Be a better friend, newshound, and 
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.  http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2