From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 15:13:30 -0800
Randy,
And Dee, I don't necessarily consider this as unnatural stoking of the colonies, but rather a maintenance of healthy nutrition, just as one would use for any other form of livestock.

Reply:
Well, Randy, since it takes a cell of pollen, to a cell of water, to a cell of honey, to make a bee, and old SC measurements were,1 lb for 4500 bees, but not knowing how equates to LC bees today as it would vary by size, then, if no pollen to maintain colonies with overwintering, then sometimes you have to do as you seem to be doing but yearly?;.......but in saying this.....question: Why not enough pollen you your hives to maintain strong ones for the almonds?......or you simply following old Jim Powers ways for getting more money and making bees at same time? since to me he was the one that really got the almond stuff going in a way, showing beekeepers how to go there and make bees at same time and/or just prior to.........or am I wrong for remembering too far back this way?

But can understand need to feed at times, but then used to be taught to save real stuff too, might throw in in case bees need it in bad years.....but nowadays no one saves, they just spend and buy! Steal and feed, but understand what you write.....just cannot see the feeding, for the me good livestock feeds itself or at least should be allowed. But just my take Randy!

Dee