From:
25 Hives <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:09:57 -0700
My dilemma is not trying to talk new people into keeping bees, rather, it's trying to tell them what it really takes to keep bees, and keep them alive.  It likely sounds like I'm trying to talk them out of keeping bees, but I'm reluctant to paint a rosy picture or appear too enthusiastic.

Beekeeping takes commitment and passion, as do many things, which is why I gave up the piano...that and the fact that I have limited musical abilities.  It was a whole lot harder than I imagined. Playing the piano and beekeeping, even as a hobby or for personal enjoyment, is not for everyone.

My mantra is, "If this was easy, then everybody would be keeping bees."  I also try and convince them I'm still learning, but they blow me off as if I'm trying to discourage them.  I'm just trying to be honest.

I'm often asked to mentor people, but each year I limit myself to two of the best candidates, and even then, the rate of attrition is pretty steep in those second and third years.  Beekeeping is not as easy as many of the beginner books describe it.

It's an expensive hobby to get into, and yet the romantic notion and noble idealism makes them believe it's inexpensive, especially because "it's all natural."  Then they have to buy packages to refill their winter deadouts and they wonder when they'll have all this honey they promised their relatives and loved ones.

I probably come across as too pessimistic or fearful they will cut into the millions of easy dollars I'm making at the farmer's markets.

And please excuse me, but when someone comes up to me and says, "We're thinking of getting into bees because they need our help," I almost cannot contain my incredulity by responding, "And you think you know how to do this better than someone who is trying to make their living at this craft and struggling to make ends meet?"  That's when I get the, "But we're going to do it all naturally and chemically free."  Then I take a deep breath, relax, count to ten, and ask, "How can I help you?"

I'm all about helping someone get started, but I want to be honest and forthright.  Keeping bees is more art than science.

Grant
Jackson, MO