From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:19:43 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, J.
Waggle <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I have Lime here, very few not enough for a surplus,
>maybe less than a couple dozen lime trees in my
>foraging area.  The color honey you describe is how I
>would discribe my Black Locust honey.

Our native Lime is Tilia cordata, the Small-leaved lime. Its honey is
this strange colour, but nice in a jar, only in the thinner environment
of a comb does it show the colour described.

On the other hand we have two groups of hives near the perimeter of the
campus of Heriot-Watt University outside Edinburgh. In there are several
groves of ornamental Limes, supposedly an American species, but quite
which one I don't know (and it is not really important) and almost every
summer these bees hit pay dirt of these groves. Classic Lime smell and
taste, hives stink when ripening it. Yet the colour is near to water
white.

Different species, different characteristics. Got three drums of the
special stuff set aside at a big price for a customer wanting
specialities.

Black Locust is Robinia pseudacacia? I think so anyway. In Europe/China
this is called Acacia and produces a very pale non crystallising honey
of very high quality and lovely delicate fruity flavour (the Chinese
aint so good). Darker samples are usually attributed to mixed forage and
are often traded as 'acacia type polyflora'.

>Elong bees, name originating or derived from Mt.
>Elong?  Are they the same bee as sometimes I hear
>being called monticola?
>Yes, I've seen these brood patterns from these bees on
>photos by Erik I believe, very nice indeed, brood in
>the entire frame even in the corners!

It is Mt. Elgon..........and the rest is right. Erik saw my post and has
come back to me in private on the subject.

In a rush this morning, have a truck load of honey going south today so
need to get going.
--
Murray McGregor