From:
Malcolm Roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 1994 17:49:15 +0100
> I have been left
> with a few frames that are still uncapped and it is time to start wrapping
> the hive up for winter.  My question is, since I really can't extract the
> honey that is left uncapped, what is the best way to handle this uncapped
> honey?

Why do you say you "really can't extract the honey"?  If you mean that
you don't have the time or equipment then the advice you've already
received is fine.  However, I think you're implying that because the
honey is uncapped then it won't keep.  (It's unripe.)  This would be
true earlier in the season but assuming the honey flow is over for the
year I doubt that it's true now.  It only takes a few days for honey
in the hive to be ripened.  It just involves evaporating off some of
the water.  The bees are eternal optimists.  If the cells aren't full
they leave them uncapped in the hope of more nectar becoming available.

What you need to do is to test the honey.  The easiest way is to remove
a frame, hold it horizontally over the super and give it a good shake.
If drips of honey come flying out then it's unripe.  If none (or
virtually none) comes out then it's ready for extraction.  Even if it's
still unripe, once the flow is over all you need do is leave it a few
days more and try again.

--
Malcolm Roe                            Phone  :  +44 442 230000 ext 5104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd              Fax    :  +44 442 232301