From:
Michael Moroney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 1994 20:53:22 -0500
> I am not sure what kind of bees you have there but in my neck of the
> woods if you get close to hives in the heat of the summer ... well you are
> asking for trouble. Of course you can get close if you get used to the idea
> and *behave* properly. But still there is a chance that you will be attacked.
> Now operating inside the hive is another story though. I would never
> dream of doing that unless I am fully clothed. And that is how it has worked
> out for others around here.
>
> Removing supers,frames and honey that is the job of warriors in full
> battle gear. And if you accidentally kill a couple, then you are really asking for
> en masse (sp?) attack.  For some reason the buzzing noise made by bees
> being killed or the smell of those squashed trigger the red alarm.
>
> NOTE: I have been around bees for as long as I  can remember and these
> are my experiences NOT my FEARS!! I get stung many times in a year but I
> am not asking for trouble.
>
> Any suggestions in improving this condition will be appreciated.

Where you located?  (I don't recognize a .CY address other than it's
not in the USA)  If South or Central America I'd say those were the
Africanized honeybees that have just started invading the southwest US.

Anyway, around here on a nice sunny day the bees are too busy out gathering
nectar, and almost don't care if you open their hive.  Most beekeepers
would requeen a hive as mean as the one you describe.  It is true that
killing bees does trigger the defensive mechanism in other bees.

-Mike