From:
Peter Prodger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2017 20:03:40 -0400
In eastern Ontario I feed in fall until hive has about 80-90 pounds feed. We get cool-cold spring weather with sporadic foraging opportunities. The starvation problem develops if the bees have been stimulated to start extensive brood rearing and then get locked onto the brood nest. Feed may be a few inches away.

In early March, about 6-8 weeks before consistently good foraging, I put a patty of crystallized honey on the top bars. Honey between wax paper like a pollen patty. About 3 pounds of honey per hive carries them through the hard times. I switch to protein patties with about 66% sugar content after the honey.

I have Russian carniolan  which are frugal users of stores and will shut down brooding when resources are reduced.

I use crystallized honey because I once tried to make fondant. I swore I would ever try to make my own fondant again.

Regards Peter