From:
Jerry Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 16:03:54 EDT

>We now know that although SHB can be found in most hives in an area of  known
>SHB most SHB live away from the hive but enter a hive for the most  part to
>reproduce. Kind of like the tree borer which lays its eggs at the  base of a
tree.

Bob,

What is the average time frame that adult SHB live away from  the hive?  I
tend to think it is not very long based on the few SHB  incidents I've
experienced.  The adult beetle population observed in other  hives increased rapidly in
just a few weeks once I noted the problem hive.

Also, perhaps they don't need to enter a hive at all to reproduce.  I  have a
beekeeper friend that lives near our state farmer's market who  reports SHB
reproduce on rotting fruit in the dumpsters,  making it very difficult to keep
production hives at that  location.   Maybe a coincidence, but I believe he
was also  the first to identify SHB's arrival in GA.

Jerry Wallace
Atlanta, GA