From:
"<Larry Connor>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 16:56:02 -0400
To: All members of the honey bee community
From: Larry Connor, Wicwas press
Re: The Mites of the Honey Bee

Many of you are aware of our efforts to collect, edit and publish a book on
The Mites of the Honey Bee. This project grew out of the American Bee
Research Conference in the fall of 1994. The project has bounced between
coeditors, and it is now my responsibility to complete the editing and
publish the book. The book contains two sections, an invited textbook
section, and a manuscript section.

In the invited section, there are 18 chapters (as of this time) dealing
heavily on Acarapis woodi and Varroa jacobsoni, their life history, impact on
honey bees, and control methods. Sampling methods, resistance and non
chemical controls are included. Most of the chapters are completed and are in
the editing process. I urge all authors who have outstanding chapters to
submit their ms ASAP.

In the peer-reviewed manuscript section, we currently have 6 manuscripts
under submission. Before we close off the book we invite researchers to
submit new materials and/or update earlier submissions. If you have research
on any mite of the honey bee, please email me to check on the possibility of
publication. Peer-reviewed manuscripts will be charged a modest page charge
to help offset the cost of publication, but no manuscript will be rejected
based on the ability to pay page charges.

It is the intention of the coeditors to produce the book so that it is a
reasonably priced publication, one which may be purchased and read by a large
number of beekeepers, as well as researchers. The American Association of
Professional Apiculturists has voted to subsidize the book through a
publication grant of $1,000. The coeditors continue to seek additional
financial support to reduce the cost of publication, and thus, the cost of
the book.

If you desire any further information, have a posible manuscript for
submission, wish to have your name placed on the list for notification when
published, please contact me at [log in to unmask]

Thank you, on behalf of the other coeditors: William T. Wilson, John Harbo
and Frank Eischen.

Larry Connor, Editor/Publisher, Wicwas Press, P.O. Box 817, Cheshire, CT
06410-0817, USA
Phone and Fax 203-250-7575