From:
Kevin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2013 08:32:45 -0500
that's the interesting part steve.

i have heard that mentioned before, about how the mites really get a foothold by year three.  it does make sense too, but in my case it hasn't come to pass.  all of the queens i lost were overwintered in nucs or in swarms, and and these colonies were only in their first year of establishment.  as it turns out, my strongest colonies in terms of population and for honey will be starting their fourth season this year.

in addition, my supplier has colonies that have been going strong for many years without mite treatments.  he has bred his bees from feral cut outs, and has a large feral drone contribution for mating his queens.  i also have many feral hives near my location, and hope that i too can produce bees that deal with mites.

i have no grand illusions that i'll not have mite issues.  my approach will be to requeen any hive that gets above economic threshold, (after pinching the old queen, a short brood break, and dusting for the phoretic mites).  using an organic acid is not against my religon if it comes to that.

as stated, although my dead outs had not checked for mites, (a mistake i will not repeat), i was not able to see any tell tale evidence at autoposy, (i.e. no mite feces in the comb nor dead mites on the bottom board).  again, i am not discounting mites as a factor, but these look very different than the one confirmed loss i had from mites.

randy,

many thanks for your reply, (and keep up the good work!).

most of the forage near me is really good, but there is a little agriculture and gardening going on as well.  i don't know if i can identify what is being used or not, but i may talk to my state apiarist about it.