From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2012 19:00:14 -0500
I was able to observe the spider closely
> before smashing. I made a positive ID Chilean recluse. I went into the
> office and observed the two fang wounds.

The loxosceles  laeta are in areas my bees have been in and when I went to
the brown recluse site looked the most like the three I smashed. I found the
most intact corpse and took with me to my doctor .
Doc asked me how many eyes the spider had. I didn't count his eyes. Six
recluse and eight not.
The corpse I brought I stomped on last week. Doc said the color was not
quite correct. he said the legs looked correct.
So now I am setting out recluse traps so I can get a look at their eyes.
This years spiders look like all the recluse I have seen but more of a dark
brown. ????
So far I have had no reaction but I am told might take a day or to. Doc
thinks I might have knocked the spider off before the spider injected venom
and he also said many verified recluse bite have no reaction. His theory is
the spider injected its venom on a bug or male recluse before the bite.

The website says the recluse is not aggressive but I have seen aggression
and
unbelievable quickness through the years.

I hope the bite simply heals. I was given a shot of cortisone by the doc.

I plan to trap another of these spiders. If there are three I am sure there
are others . I ordered 30 recluse traps on line. Doc said he gets his at Wal
Mart. Not my day!

Doc got a kick out of my comb honey pad I had on the bite. He would really
have had fun if I told him about juanse sting "circle the dragon" therapy.

If I catch a *non smashed* specimen I can send to the brown recluse site or
post on the entomology site for a positive ID. I have equipment that has
been in Florida, Texas and California in areas of all the U.S. recluse.

I looked for awhile on the net today and I can not find a non venomous
spider which looks like a recluse. The Hobo spider doesn't. Wikipedia lists
a spider often mistaken for recluse but does not have a picture and is
asking for a picture. Entomologists? You can link off the Wikipedia brown
recluse site.

 Truck loaded for tomorrow.

bob