From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2018 08:41:38 +0200
> On January 9th, Chris posted this to the “wax moth” discussion.
> “According to the local Bee Inspector (who recently destroyed, burnt
> and buried one of my hives) 94% of honey imported into the UK contains
> AFB spores.  No other hives in the area, mine or other people's,
> appear to have AFB and his conclusion was that my bees found a sticky
> honey jar in a bin.”

If I know right the inspection is UK is based on visual detection. If
one hive is found with AFB this does not mean that it popped up just in
that hive, there is many more in that beekeeping unit with subclinical
amounts of AFB spores. Maybe just that hive had other problems or was
more easily infected. And the spores might have been in that beekeeping
unit for years.

In Finland beekeepers are often quite isolated. We check AFB from honey
samples. Quite often I have seen that 50 hive operation with one visual
case of AFB has 10- 20 hives with AFB spores and no visual signs. And
they have had those spores for years before. And if the beekeepers does
not put all hives  with spores to foundations, he will continue to have
every now and the one with clinical AFB. Say like 1-2 hives every 1-3
years.  If he notes them and don't spread the frames to other hives he
can run beekeeping for decades with afb spores in his hives.

Ari Seppälä
ex beekeeping advicer
Finland