Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 02:04:23 -0400
Before it becomes summer I should update my observations

If 2 had not starved it would have been 50% survival
12 / 28 made it to April
7 died before Nov 15 (As noted here before)

Of these 12,  4 turned out to be dinks
1 of these dinks absconded, the other 3 went Qless
at <1 frame brood ie early april
(I am a northern BK)
There still continue to be less then expected
corpses in deadouts
Normal to low levels of dysentry

The starved can illustrate a point

for one I am indeed a ppb, not a gram of
honey left, but what a lot of bees (20K+)
oops
The other still had almost 1/2 its
honey, the top shallow had 30% left
but all on the other side of the hive
They were pinned by a cold snap and starved in place

So Chris, this is why brood in winter in most
of Canada is not a survival trait
It's too bloody cold
The post of Oct8/06 (056955) has more as
well it being (perhaps) the first ccd symptom (for me)
That fall was very mild, that was one of the ccd theorys
that the bees wore themself out by not being forced to cluster

Before 06 I had ~ normal wintering and no abscond
The winter before, 05, I had 100% survival, only 2nd time
Most of the dead colored sealed brood in that post
was peripheral, clearly chilled, with a dead dink parent
Illustrative of cold, not ccd

As to the future, I'm not optomistic
The frames, some back in use were probably
inadequately disinfected, some not at all
It might be best to mark & burn the worst frames
I wish I'd decided that 6 months ago

Of course the largest factor is probably zero mites
and that I can somewhat influence

I am still feeding vitamin C, and have not changed my mind
I don't think this is wishful thinking FWIW
NOT A CURE,  a cure is probably not possible

But I'm stressing my bees pretty hard so maybe
I can compress time
Unfortunatly the strongest ( a selection criteria)
are mostly somewhat fiesty, quick to respond
The calmer hives have a bit less strength
But I think I will still emphasize those genes

It would be helpful if anyone here whose bees have
ccd would confirm, deny or contrast symptoms (Nov14/08(067201))
Claude?
Any thoughts on treatment would be also welcomed
Or will apathy or transference reign supreme?

dave

ps It says attachments
     What is permitted?  size?
    I do have some mediocre avi's