From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:46:43 -0500
Hello All,
Sioux Honey members are for the most part honest hardworking beekeepers. In
the other corner we have got a few packers which have made huge profits on
Argentine honey (or did).

James wrote:
> Seriously, this was a very well-timed announcement, and a very smooth
move.  Vote the people who did this a raise, Sioux Bee members - they earned
it.

 Am I looking at the situation wrong but did not the American Beekeepers
spend hard earned dollars to put a tarriff on Argentine honey? Is not the
honest hardworking members of Sioux Bee going to pay most (if not all ) of
the tarrif over the length of the tarriff?

Argentine beekeepers are tired of being robbed of their honey at low prices.
Prices have risen sharply over the last few years in Argentina. Several
packers were ready to look other places before the tarriff was put in place.
Argentina honey is bringing an average of .57  a lb. FOB Argentina today
(Sept. ABJ pg. 627). Quite a bit of difference from the middle .30 U.S.
packers have paid in the past. Hmmm.

James wrote:
> The net effect is that Sioux Bee may now suddenly be the largest
purchaser/packer  of Argentine honey, and will no longer be undercut by
those who traditionally traded  in Argentine honey.

I agree completely but the world honey market is a large place and those
packers which have been a thorn in American beekeepers side are not going
away only switching sources.

> They are sure to buy up as much Argentine honey as they can,  even if
>they must stockpile it.

The largest stockpile of dark bakery grade honey in the world. Only valuable
if you have got grade A white honey to blend  with the Argentine only. Is
this really a wise move?

The packers which first imported Argentine honey enjoyed the *low price
advantage* on store shelves. I do not believe Sioux Bee will be able to do
the same with todays mindset of the Argentine beekeepers.  The days of
trading *beads for honey* are over. Argentine beekeepers are united and very
aware of the price they can get for their honey crop.

I am only a "small potatoes" type of guy to use a phrase from Aaron but I
try to keep up on what a few of my friends on both sides of the issue are up
to.
Sincerely,
Bob