From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 1995 10:02:22 -0700
On Sat, 1 Apr 1995, Andy Nachbaur wrote:

> <>From: "Dave Green, Eastern Pollinator Newsletter" <[log in to unmask]>
> <>Date:         Sat, 1 Apr 1995 07:07:02 -0500
> <>Subject:      Feeding bees
>
> <>    Well, we just had a wreck upstate and we went up and bought a
> <>tractor-trailer load of NutraSweet at salvage prices.  We've been really tick
> <>ed at the bargain brought about by someone else's misfortune, but then we got
> <>to thinking:  Will NutraSweet hurt the bees?  Anybody with any experience, or
> <>would like to comment?

We had an experience (on April 1 last year) where we found the bees in
our hives seemed mighty thin.  We investigated and found the bees had been
visiting the A & W nearby and consuming the *diet* Root beer (contains
apartame) thrown away in outside garbage containers.

It was pathetic.  The bees were so thin you could see their ribs sticking
out!

;-)

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0
Email:   [log in to unmask]    or   [log in to unmask]
Virtual Art Gallery: http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka