From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 2009 22:37:20 +1000
 Geoff wrote

> Many moons ago when I was getting my PhD in beekeeping by working for Norm
> Rice, he said IIRC that the microcrystalline was to make the dipping
> material
> more pliable, rather like beeswax.  Presumably to allow the expansion and
> contraction of the timber in the field.  Painting also helped this, thus
> avoiding cracking of the timber.

This method was not successful as a preservative.  I bought many of those
boxes years ago and all have now surcumbed to decay (rot) of various
degrees.  Boxes treated with copper naphthenate over 20 years ago are still
in service.

> He had considered using copper in the mix, but was concerned about the
> effect of the hot mix fumes on the (human) workers.

Graham Kleinschmidt said that in New Zealand many years ago they used copper
naphthenate then wax dipped.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA