From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2012 09:56:42 -0400
While not quite on topic of bees. the implications are. I found this very
interesting.

Dick

>>>Begin quotes<<
Why are we so prone to inflammatory disorders? What has happened to the
modern immune system?

There's a good evolutionary answer to that query, it turns out. Scientists
have repeatedly observed that people living in environments that resemble
our evolutionary past, full of microbes and parasites, don't suffer from
inflammatory diseases as frequently as we do.

A probiotic, many of which have anti-inflammatory properties, may also be of
benefit. Not coincidentally, asthma researchers are arriving at similar
conclusions; prevention of the lung disease will begin with the pregnant
woman. Dr. Parker has more radical ideas: pre-emptive restoration of
"domesticated" parasites in everybody - worms developed solely for the
purpose of correcting the wayward, postmodern immune system.

Practically speaking, this seems beyond improbable. And yet, a trial is
under way at the Montefiore Medical Center and the Albert Einstein College
of Medicine testing a medicalized parasite called Trichuris suis in autistic
adults.

First used medically to treat inflammatory bowel disease, the whipworm,
which is native to pigs, has anecdotally shown benefit in autistic children.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/opinion/sunday/immune-disorders-and-autism
.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general&pagewanted=all