From:
Doug Ladd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:11:12 -0500
In years past in my short stint as a beekeeper I always fed patties when I
would stop seeing what I call the full frame of pollen which I saw during
the spring, as summer progressed I routinly didnt see this frame of pollen,
so I always used that as a key indicator.

I would feed a lb a week until I saw it being stored in the frames heavily,
then watch and feed as I saw it used. it typically took a few lbs to start
seeing it stored.

However, this year was different, I still see this frame of pollen...
However I have been feeding for about 3-4 weeks across the board, cutting
back when I believe the hive has too much, what ever that is...

Since I believe in feeding to sustain brood rearing through our/VA's
typically long and dry summer, it has become costly for 60 lbs plus a
week...

I dont inspect weekly, more so bi-weekly or every 3 weeks, depending on the
hive, but I will pull a few quick choice frames to monitor feed levels
depending on the hive...

I have been splitting alot this year (13-62) and am feeding alot of syrup
weekly for comb building....