From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2018 20:29:07 -0400
a Bill T snip followed by > my comments...

Then don't.

>That is always a possibile. But I really thought you would go for the 'their' in my last comments Bill.  Mind you.. I ain't disappointed in that you did not!

>Personally I think the quality of 'both' journals (and the writers and the editors and the printed format) have all gotten better over say the past 20 years. Seems to me there is a lot of marginalizing talk here concerning all the above contributors with more than one or two contributors to the journals being folks that commonly respond to Bee Line... Might I ask which of these folks are dragging down the quality of either magazine?

>As to Randy article... I personally found Randy article quite insightful but I have always viewed Randy's real value to be at the application level.. for me in the process of new idea to product or application this comes at the tail end of the 'scientific process'.  But it basically is what gives science value.  As I have said before Randy's site is the first place I direct any students (typically graduate students) toward who often come here with little understanding or experience to
beekeeping.  As to the article I would disagree with his conclusion that lots of hobby beekeepers are also non treatment beekeepers. Some are and some are not but it is foolish for someone with 1 or 2 hives not to consider all the treatment possibilities and to find one or two that does not bother their sensibilities. I do preach to the choir test (monitor), then treat and then test again as part of the process. There are now lots of option on the board and it seems Randy added another one in his article that I was not familiar with (formic acid application that I had not seen before). New beekeepers hives do die at a high rate but I would suggest it is not always about varroa < or to quote my friend Chuck in Austin 'the new beekeeper can invent the most ingenious ways to kill a perfect good hive of bees'.  In the article he seems to point (I don't think he phrased this in exactly the same fashion) as to the 'approximate' and 'ultimate' evolutionary consequence of how we are or should be approaching the problem of varroa. I don't think he mentioned all the possible paths but what writer in his right mind would take on that task?  Again hats off to Randy and his effort... they are quite remarkable.

>as to disclaimer... first I found the disclaimer to be fashion with a very very soft glove and Randy first paragraph pretty well stated what his goal was on taking on the name 'Scientific Beekeeping'... I can't not see why this rubbed folks raw.. but then again my skin is old and thick....

Gene in Central Texas..