From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2013 18:34:35 -0700
> Apivar is costing here $2.50 per strip.  I have been putting two in a hive.

Recommended dose is 2 strips per brood chamber.  So for most of my hives,
I'd need 4 (or perhaps 3 for weaker) per hive.  Cost here is $2.70 per
strip.  Labor takes us longer for Apivar--we've applied both in the past
few weeks, esp if 4 strips are needed.

Reality wise, 2 strips of Apivar may do it, but I don't know.

>But I imagine with your longer season mite control is much more difficult
than here.

Yes, our colonies are in full brood production in late Jan, and chock full
on drone brood by mid February.

> >The thing that worries me the most with the way I am controlling varroa is
> that if amitraz resistance develops in mites here, by the time I know that
> it has come it will be too late in the season to have healthy winter bees.

Once bitten, twice shy.  Sounds like you've been there too : )

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA