Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:49:46 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
 I am better off than before, because operating half as many hives means less operating costs.  Does this make any sense?
Eric the sideliner in Howe , Texas

On paper It makes alot of sense, but in the real world it don't add up. In July of 2006 I was paying 1.16 a gallon for diesel, today I got it for 4.76. The best price I seen in 2000 when the price spiked was 1.50 a pound for white honey.
  The best real price I know of so far is 1.50 a pound ,even though Bob H. posted some 1.60 to 70 prices being mentioned. 
And the sucky part ,half of the honey I produce is bakery,which sucks in price so far compared to the top end.

I passed up most of the citrus crop here in FlA/USA to make back numbers still not made up from the winter of 2006 CCD losses. So there's lots of variables to the picture, if  I can make another 100 percent split of the outfit late summer and the prices hold until next year, myself I might benifit them. 
  I'm commited to pollination,long term, and have to have numbers,honey prices won't hold ( or have never held) and the crops are not  dependable. 
  Whereas if I deliver the contracted bees, I get the contracted price. Short answer to does it make sense,yes it will help for sure, but it is not as good as you would think.
You have to love this line of work or you'd be doing something else alot more stable.

Where there are beekeepers,there are fruits and nuts

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2