Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 20:46:45 GMT+0200
Hi All/Ken

Ken, you menioned my reply to your original post about bee
aggression. In my reply I stated that one of the reasons I think
people that work with European honeybees sometimes end up getting
stung by these more peaceful bees, is that the smoker is not used
correctly.

With any african bees a smoker is essential, except maybe if one is
popping supers on during a strong flow. One small puff of smoke to
the entrance, and one in the top calms the bees - and makes them less
likely to get upset, thus reducing damage to the hive. A hive lightly
dulled with smoke continues working even if you have dismatnled the
brood nest as no alarm pheremones are released. I have had bees
return from the field, walk around on the combs stacked next to the
hive and offload pollen. If you distrub the hive (and they are
induced to sting) they stop all foraging activity for up to four
hours!!

So, my original theory was that for EHB working without a smoker is
probably ok on all days except when the bees are having a bad hair
day - with AHB we always use the smoker - and know to use it more
when the bees are having a bad hair day because they tell us in
advance!!

So sorry to have put my message accross wrong the first time.

Keep well

Garth
Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
6139 South Africa

Time = Honey