Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:12:22 EDT

In a message dated 7/7/2010 11:51:34 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

"some  growers who stocked 2.5 hives per
acre this year probably would have  benefitted by having 3.5 hives".
and "Colony strength was a key factor this  season.

Paul

I sampled bee colonies all up and down CA in Feb, prior to almonds. I've
also talked to members of the almond board.

The quote misses the point.  When the collapse hit this year, many
beekeepers elected to cut back on the number of colonies provided (80% rule  seemed
common) to any given grower, so as to minimize the impact on  growers.  The
rationale - better to provide adequate pollination to as many  as possible,
rather than have some go without bees.

In the last two weeks before Almonds, you couldn't carry on a conversation
with any beekeeper who rented bees for pollination - their phones just kept
 ringing, growers paying top dollar for any box with bees in it.

So - we would all agree that growers would have benefited by having more
hives - the reason that many did not was the shortage of bees - despite
another  urgent set of shipments from Australia, and bees being freighted across
the U.S.  at the last minute.

Give credit to the U.S. beekeeping industry for minimizing the  impact.
Don't assume that there was no shortage.

Jerry