From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:44:23 -0700
--- George Fergusson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> And hey wait a minute! If the AHB foraged more
> efficiently (less travel,
> less competition) why didn't they produce MORE?

Hi George,

I can appreciate that it's always fun to try and pick
apart a study. I provided a few excerpts, but it is
always helpful if one were to read the study.

"....throughout the study the colonies with African
mtDNA consistently had slightly greater brood
production, almost twice as much pollen collection
activity, and traveled approximately 600 m less per
round trip of foraging"

One efficiency expression with the AHB is its
reproductive output in rearing more brood than the
European group (i.e. fitness).  Reproductive output is
positively correlated with foraging efficiency.

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
Small Cell Beekeeping
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'
http://www.biologicalbeekeeping.com