From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:33:31 -0600
This statement sums up my assumptions on CCD and why I feel More Than Honey
is such a well done documentary as it shows many contributing factors in the
plight of the honeybee.

Interesting observation and view.   I would disagree though.  Those farmers
you mention ARE feeding the world..  and lets deal a bit more specifically
with just bees.  Not all but the majority of the hives that are fed honey
substitutes are done so because the alternative is death. Not reduced
health, but termination.  All those hives in CA starve to death after
almonds if not fed.  Most of the commercial guys who are feeding are moving
hives for forages.  Without the supplemental feedings this model would not
be possible.  Instead of 2.5 million hives in the US we would have a whole
lot less.  Maybe you could argue more wild hives.  But certainly without a
doubt a lot less.  That 1.6 million moved back and forth between CA and the
Dakotas would not exist as neither end can sustain those numbers.  Same on
the east coast.  All those hives that move up and down the coast would be
non existent.   Honey at wal mart would be 25.00 a pound.
The majority of the beekeepers and enviormentalist whining about HFCS and
other feeds,  have not ever sold a drum of honey to a packer....  they are
in fact hobbiest.  Of course there are some exceptions.

There is a lot of speculation about the best practices for farming.  Most
done in front of a keyboard with a coke in one hand.  Not realizing that
within reach are at least a dozen things containing corn/and bean products.
From food to packaging to the foam in your car seats.  In fact corn beans
and the current farming is very sustainable. And getting more environmental
every day. From plastic bags made from corn starch, too artificial sugars
that are more envirmentaly friendly than cane sugar.

Same goes for beekeeping.   Were it not for those commercial guys  We would
not even be discussing CCD....  IMO.....

For those who never use suplemntal feeds,  The majority of them have darn
few bees, and don't sell much honey......so it's a tradeoff....

Charles