From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:48:31 -0500
Peter Borst writes:  “One of  the things we now have that is weakening our
case is heavy dependence on chemicals to control our pests. The farmers
know this and they are perfectly justified in pointing this out. How can we
condemn them for using any means possible to be productive and make a
living, if the beekeeping industry is doing the exact same thing”

Peter and all,

It seems to me there is a difference between the beekeeping model and the
commercial agriculture model as they pertain to chemical use.  One; use of
chemicals seems to be reaching a point of diminishing returns for some
beekeepers and maybe even some commercial beekeepers have reached this
conclusion.  Large scale commercial farmers haven’t reached this point yet
and they probably won’t unless consumers stop buying their products which
they might.  Two; the chemicals beekeepers use seem to adversely effect
mainly themselves, hence the diminishing returns.  The adverse effects of
using chemical pesticides and fertilizers by large commercial farmers are
more widespread and effect people other than themselves.  It has been
pointed out ad nauseum here on this list that beekeepers are vulnerable to
the bad practices and maybe even some of the legal practices of farmers who
use chemical insecticides.  If and to the extent that this is true, then
beekeepers are justified in condemning these practices.  I agree, though
that it is counter productive to condemn and just leave it at that.  An
atmosphere of cooperation must be maintained.  And of course being open to
compromise is essential in this regard.

Steve Noble