From:
Beverly Stanley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 20:48:45 EST
Dear Jerry:

My son, age 11, plans to do something on a very elementary level that is
similar to your own project. He can only afford one thermometer and will have
to go outside and read it. It's the only one we could find that was affordable
with a probe to insert into the hive cluster. He plans to take down the data,
graph it, take pictures etc. and use it in his school science fair. He won
last year on the regional level (2nd in the elementary division) when he did a
report on find varroa in his bees during the winter even after they had been
treated properly in the fall. He re-treated the hives and saved every one of
them. He ended up with seven hives from five, two of which produced most of
his 400 lbs. of honey this year. It sold so fast at our little roadside, honer
system payment, stand, that we've now run out for the people who still come to
the door looking for local honey. We were amazed since we are rather new to
this. It's Kevin's third year of beekeeping. We also enjoy it now after our
initial hesitancy. People often ask about what the bees do in the winter here,
so it is a way of showing that to them. He does the projects himself, setting
it up with hypothesis, research, data, etc. They aren't perfect, but he is
learning as he goes rather than having Mom or Dad do it like so many others.

I thought if he had a copy of your data, he could compare his results to it
and refer to it since his resources are so limited.

Let me know if you can help.

Beverly Stanley
Princeton, NJ, USA