From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 08:53:17 -0400
>From:    Michael Housel <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Re Chemicals and IPM
>
>       Natural and non chemical?  I would like to see and answer to put on
>the label.  Pure Natural is for normally unheated above 100F degrees honey
>from the beekeeper.  High filtered honey is not Non Chemical honey?  I have
>never seen any information on the high filtered honey and the removal of
>Chemical?  DOES IT REMOVE THE CHEMICALS?

If you read the original post, we were talking about bee culture, not honey. Of course, if one uses a "natural" or "non-chemical" approach to keeping bees, one would hope that the honey would be free of chemicals. Unfortunately, our little friends pick up nastiness from the environment, which sometimes winds up in the honey. This is why so many "Organic Organizations" refuse to certify honey at all, regardless of the mode of bee culture (unfair, in my opinion).

Be that as it may, I think most of us want to keep bees without using poisons inside the hive. Many of us got into beekeeping in the 70s during the heyday of the natural food movement. If you can keep your bees alive without chemicals, more power to you! I don't sell the stuff! But, I haven't found it that easy. And, no, filtering probably doesn't remove chemicals. I don't recall anyone saying that it does.

pb