From:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:14:10 -0700
At 02:11 PM 1/27/00 -0500, you wrote:

I suspect that those that didn't make the book were not of interest to
McGregor in his book because he focused on commercial pollination of crops.
 He did consulting in this area after he retired, I had some interesting
conversations with him.   I can't imagine that he accepted the commonly
held notion that wind pollinated plants are not of interest to bees.

The fact that a plant may not need an insect to pollinate it  does not mean
that pollinating insects have no interest in the pollen from it.

I have found sedge pollen on bees in eastern Washington, watched bees
gathering pollen from bunch grasses in the deserts of the SW U.S., found
confir (pine and fir pollen) in large amounts in combs in western Montana,
have heard reports of bees foraging dune grasses at the crack of dawn to
get pollen.

Back to my basic premise that bees don't read books nor let people tell
them what they can and can not do.

Same caution applies to almost everything about bees - don't believe
everything you read and hear.  I believe that we don't know nearly as much
as we think we do about bees.

Cheers