From:
Randy & Isa Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:33:33 -0600
One of the local apple orchards and "city folk" rural retreats off of
I-94 wants to attempt to over winter a four frame observation hive.  The
frames are vertically stacked.  Ventilation is provided by air slots
along the sides and top and from the four foot long PVC tube exiting the
building.  The observation hive currently has a cluster of buckfast bees
(smaller than one would normally like to see going into a Wisconsin
winter).  The queen is realtively young having superceded the original
queen this summer.  The original bees came from a nuc installed this
past Spring.

The owner wants to attempt to over winter the bees in an unheated
building where they are currently located.  The bees are not able to
form a true cluster due to the configuration of the observation hive.
Winter stores are also meager due to space limitations.  Sugar syrup has
been continually available at the base of the hive.

The owner wants to attempt to keep the hive warm this winter with
infra-red lamps.  I noted that the cost of this would be high and that
they may not survive.  He is willing to try anyway.  (As an aside one of
the members of our beekeepers group kept a hive going during one cold
winter with an extension cord and a heating pad.)  I suggested that he
continue to feed the bees syrup at a 2:1 ratio.

Given the awesome knowledge of the BEE-L audience, I was wondering if
anyone would like to hazard a quess on the chances of the hive surviving
until Spring or offer their time proven methods for successful over
wintering of an observation hive in a cold climate.  In the past we just
let the bees die off and started over in the Spring.  However, the
observation hive has become quite a popular attraction.