From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2015 09:45:30 -0000
> In the case of bees, all we have done is give them a "tree " hollow

...and we feed them, treat them for disease, breed them...

>How does locally adapted apply to migratory beekeeping?

Good question.  Given that migratory beekeeping is so unnatural for the bees, perhaps in that case they need genes that help them to adapt to living out of a suitcase!

>So how does a migratory industry not interfere?

It clearly does.  But just because we have evolved a lifestyle with crops that need insect pollination, we cannot assume that bees will, or can be forced to adapt to that model; they might do so, or they might cope for a while until another stress is put upon them (such as varroa or Nosema ceranae).

Unfortunately humans seem to think that everything else on the planet can and must be subservient to our whims, but what has worked in the past looks increasingly unlikely to work in the future.

I believe that the only reason for large-scale migratory beekeeping is the unsustainable increase in the human population.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W